Re: Shower Installation
Posted by hj on May 11, 1999 at 09:45:34:
In response to Re: Shower Installation
Since you are using 1/4" board, I assume it will be over 1/2" sheetrock or some other material. If this is the case, be certain that the base is cut into the wallboard so that it is against the wood studs. You can anchor the base to the studs although it is not necessary. The tricky part is to get the enclosure on the center of the base edges on all three panels.
: I'm installing a Firestone corner shower base and planning to ceramic tile two side and use a glass enclosure for the other two.

: Questions:

: 1. Is the shower base attached any way to the walls or floors? I think the last time I did this I put mortar underneath to prevent the large pan from flexing under weight. (I'm using a wood subfloor.)

: 2. I'm planning to use 1/4" wonder board as backing for the ceramic tile. Do I put anything on the studs like tar paper or construction paper before I screw the wonder board on? How does "backer" board compare with "wonder" board for my application?

: 3. Last time I installed a shower I had a pro install the neo angle enclosure because I was told it is 'tricky'. Do you think a right angle enclosure is "doable" for the home owner given that the walls will be plumb?

: Thanks in advance.

Replies to this post
There are none.