Re: Water Heater Dip Tubes
Posted by Ask the Expert on April 24, 1999 at 14:30:06:
In response to Re: Water Heater Dip Tubes
: Some domestic water heaters manufactured between 1994 and 1997 were equipped with a plasic dip tube which will disintegrate over time. Symptoms include white, chalky debris in faucet aerators and running out of hot water. Some of the manufacturers (A.O Smith, Rheem, Ruud, Richmond, American under all of their various brands i.e: Mor-Flo, Craftmaster etc., and Bradford-White and perhaps others) will have an authorized repair company replace the bad part and flush the resulting debris from the tank and hot water lines, but they are not forthcoming with this information, probably because of the cost, upwards of $125 per tank or more if the job gets complicated.

: Most have toll free telephone numbers. Give them a try, all they can say is no.

Is your home's hot water flow reduced? That's not an improbable question if your hot water tank is relatively new. Indeed, some 90 percent of gas and electric residential water heaters built between 1993 and 1996 - as many as 21 million units - may have flow problems because of defective polypropylene dip tubes, according to the American Water Works Association (AWWA).

From the Seattle Times, click the link below for the rest of the Story

Replies to this post
There are none.