Main Water Supply
Posted by Dennis Wright on March 29, 1999 at 15:10:30:
My home was built in 1959 and main water supply from meter to house is galvanized pipe. Piping transitions to copper once it enters the crawl space. Would like to replace the main supply piping to the house due to age and decrease in water pressure. What type of piping should I use;copper, poly, or galvanized? Can copper be used underground? If I use copper underground, should I use one continuous run or can I use sweated joints? If I use sweated joints, do fittings have to be the same schedule as pipe itself? What schedule piping would you recommend. Plan to leave existing supply in ground so I will need to make a new petetration through foundation wall. Does piping need to be sleeved when it passes through the foundation wall? If I use poly pipe, can I use plastic connectors (screwed) to transition to the water meter and the copper pipe in the house?

Replies to this post