Re: pipes
Posted by Bud..Suncoast Plumbing on March 21, 1999 at 17:03:27:
In response to Re: pipes
b.:--"PEX" is a trade name of just one of many manufacturers of Biaxially crosslinked HDPE (High Density Poly Ethylene)resins that are currently being used in the domestic water distribution market. It is available in "Basic Translucent White" as well as "Color Coded Blue" for water service applications and indicating a "Cold Water" line. It is available in "Red" for the purpose of identification of "Hot Water" lines.
In my area (Florida), we use great quantities of this material for the piping of reclaimed water for irrigation (this is color coded a pretty lavender color).
To date I have limited my use of this material to the Trenchless Technology of replacing failed water services and road crossings. I suppose it has something to do with the fact that the name "Polyethylene" rhymes with "Polybutylene", it is not that I fear failure of the product, it is the unpleasent prospect of litigation at some point in the future that inhibits a desire to use it in the domestic water distribution setting.
A single bathroom home backed up to a common kitchen wall should be able to piped for less than $75.00 in materials with CPVC. I'm not trying to sway your thinking, but CPVC has a pretty credible track record over the past 30 years or so. Lots of luck with your project..Bud

Replies to this post
There are none.