Re: PEX vs. PE for water service from meter to house
Posted by Dale's Plumbing Service on March 21, 1999 at 01:48:43:
In response to Re: PEX vs. PE for water service from meter to house
: We have a bid from a plumbing company to replace our water service from meter to house. The bid is to use polyethylene tubing rated at 160 PSI. The diameter wasn't specified. Not knowing anything about this, I checked and other places and read that cross-linked polyethylene, or PEX, is great stuff. I don't think the product being proposed is PEX; it's from Wesflex and the literature the plumber left me doesn't mention "cross-linked." Is PEX better for the main service, or is regular polyethylene good enough?

: Also, the proposal is to not trench but use a device that burrows underground, requiring just a few holes to be dug. Our run is over 150' and goes under brick sidewalk, flower bed, driveway, and shallow-rooted mature camellias, so not trenching sounds great. However, I never heard of this technology. Does it work, or will they just wind up trenching anyway?

: The bid is around $5000. Does this sound like the right price?

: Finally, I had always thought copper was the way to go. Is this incompatible with the burrowing technique because copper isn't flexible enough to feed through? If I don't want plastic of any kind because of health concerns, am I stuck with trenching?

: Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

what i meant by washing the line is if you were useing pvc scg 40 or 80 you could put a hose adapter on one end and put the other end in the ditch and turn the water on and push at the same time and the water will wash a hole. but a lot depends on the type soil you have, sandy soil is perfect.sandy loam soil is good also. bud's way is good also. if you don't have this equitment a good plumber will rig up something similar and pull a new pipe in as he is pulling the old pipe out. i have done it with out diging any holes in the yard except at the meter. your line is long and 3-4 holes may be can pull copper through as well as plastic.disconnect the line in the house and cut around old pipe in foundation and solder an adapter on to the copper to fit on to the galvanized.good luck with your project.

Replies to this post
There are none.