Re: Polybutylene pipe connections
Posted by Terry Love on March 16, 1999 at 00:08:33:
In response to Re: Polybutylene pipe connections

: My house is piped with polybutylene pipe, and I want to add a sink. The pipes in the vicinity have
: plastic elbows with copper crimp rings. I need to either add a tee to a straight piece, or replace one
: of the elbows with a tee. Problem is, I don't know how to work with polybutylene. What kind of fittings
: should I get, and how do I install them? Do I need to worry about whether I'm in a hot or cold line?
: The "expert" at the home center said I could use CPVC fittings and solvent glue. Is this right?

No, this is not right. Polybutylene pipe can't be glued together. This is a case where I would suggest calling in a plumber that has worked with polybutylene pipe and has already invested the money in tools and equipment for it. Let the plumber know what kind of pipe you have, not all plumbers have the tools for this kind of pipe.

The reason I suggest a plumber for this, is mainly the cost of the required tools. That alone will pay the plumbers bill.

Replies to this post
There are none.