Re: Whistling sound form pipes in apartment builiding
Posted by hj on February 16, 1999 at 03:03:43:
In response to Re: Whistling sound form pipes in apartment builiding
Pressur build up is not causing the noise. It is flow velocity. One or more faucets, (and also toilets, possibly) have worn to the point that the washer has developed a thin edge and this whistles like the reed in a musical instrument when the water flow is at the critical speed.

: Although I've read many posts in this forum on a similar theme, none quite address my situation. It's a 35 year
: old, 26-floor apartment building. Whenever one of my neighbours (up, down, beside? I don't know) turns on
: their water, a very, very loud whistling sound comes from within the wall immediately behind my kitchen sink.
: Turning on the water in my apartment makes no difference, nor does turning off the shut-off valves under the
: sink. I don't think it is from shower or toilet use due to the random duration of the noise: from a second to
: many, many minutes. The sound has gotten louder over time and it is now so loud that it is putting me over the
: edge. Of course, the building management is uninterested in helping. One clue as to the cause is that just
: before this started six months ago, every toilet, showerhead, and faucet aerator in the building was replaced
: with low-flow devices. My amateur assessment is that the low-flow devices are causing a buildup of pressure
: (which is quite good) which is somehow casuing this noise. Any ideas out there? My next step is to visit my
: neighbours one by one and hopefully they will let me turn on their taps to find out which apartment is causing
: this. If I find its more than one, I don't know what I'll do. Please help!

Replies to this post
There are none.