Re: sewer gas
Posted by Donna on September 03, 2002 at 21:31:53:
In response to Re: sewer gas
: : I have a very sensitive nose and have smelled sewer gas in my house occationally for 20 years. Most of the time others can't smell it. I have checked the vent, changed the seal on the toilet and bought bacteria boosters and root killers for the septic system. What else can I do to remove this ever lingering odor? Please email me back. Thanks

: We had that problem last summer. Our plumber came out and changed the "trap" at each of our bathroom sinks--he said the ones that were on there were not as effective as the ones he installed. I think he called them "California traps". He also noticed that we have a bathtub which is seldom used and the water in the trap can dry out leaving an opening for the sewer gas to come out. You might look around to see that each drain has water in the bottom of it. It helped us to do those things--haven't smelled any since.

I too have a sensitive nose, I have smelled sewer gas for 2 yrs in the hospital I work at, it didn't seem to bother anyone all that much, except for me, I finally got them to cap the drain & now the smell leaks in from another direction. I think it makes me more prone to respiratory problems, but I'm the only one who is complaining, so cap it, but know it might still seep through.

Replies to this post
There are none.