Re: Water Heaters
Posted by Bud...Suncoast Plumbing Inc. on January 23, 1999 at 18:28:22:
In response to Re: Water Heaters
Sue:--After many years in the plumbing business, and two or three tours of the largest water heater manufacturing facility in this country, I have developed my own theory on what to do......
All heaters are essntially produced on the same line...with no distinction betwixt a standard 5 yr. model or the 7-1/2 yr. or the 10 year offering. The difference is added after the tank is made...The basic 5 Year tank has no dielectric unions, and it uses high watt density heater elements.
The ten year offering has dielectric unions, and use low watt density heating elements. The difference in money is about $20.00.
If the bottom of the line retails at lets say $129.95, and the 10 year warranty tank goes for $249.95, my lightning fast mind tells me that if I were to install dieletric unions on the cheapie model, and upgrade the elements to longlife low watt density elements for $20.00...and then invest the $100 difference in a good solid interest bearing certificate of deposit or such, at the end of the 10 years, I would have 100% of the Principal, and 100% of the accrual for that period...Thats exactly what the manufacturers do with your money,..why not do it yourself...Bud

Replies to this post
There are none.