Re: Poorly installed whirlpool tub
Posted by hj on January 17, 1999 at 23:17:51:
In response to Re: Poorly installed whirlpool tub
All four sides need support under the rim. Yodo not specify whether the front edge has an apron for support, or if it is a cast iron or acrylic tub. If acrylic, then there should also be support under the tub, whether spray-foam, concrete, or mortar, to support the bottom and take pressure off the rim when filled. Unless the tub has an apron and rolled up edges behind the drywall, it was never intended to be installed in an exact sized enclosure, but rather set onto a tile or marble platform, and resting on the edges of the rim.

: I have a question about how to correct poor installation of a Kohler whirlpool type bathtub which was installed about eight years ago for the original owners of my house. Installed in a three wall enclosure against an outside wall of the house, the tub drops about 1/8 to 3/16 inches on the outside wall when it is filled with water. You can tell this by the caulking line.

: I can find no model number on the tub. It is six feet long and has six jets (three on each side). The tub is sitting on what appears to be cedar boards on top of a concrete pad that is about 1 1/2 inches thick. The front rim of the tub is sitting on a 2 X 6 frame, The back edge of the tub rim has no support. The tub is on a lower floor of the house above a crawl space framed with 2 X 8s (fifteen inches apart) topped with 1/2 inch plywood. There is a concrete block pier supporting one of the 2 X 8s toward the front side of the tub. There are two loosely constructed concrete block piers (stacked with no morter) on either side of the first pier.

: Does the tub require framing along the back edge and will that solve the problwem? If not what is likely needed?

: Thanks

Replies to this post
There are none.