Re: Stuck Drainpipe
Posted by kk on January 08, 1999 at 14:45:56:
In response to Re: Stuck Drainpipe
Once I do this, then do I just purchase a new adapter and pipe? I take it solder type adapters are only useable once? Should I replace the adapter with the same solder type? Thanks for all the advice.
: If the adapter does not have another hex shaped nut in front of it, then you have the solder type adapter. to remove it, first use a hammer and screwdriver to peel the tubing from the inside of the adapter by driving the screwdriver between the adapter and tubing which will cut the solder loose. Then use a hacksaw blade to cut two slits in the adapter about a 1/4" apart and sort of V shaped. Then use a small chisel to remove the metal in the V and then colapse the adapter so as to close up the V and make it smaller. Then the adapter will unscrew with a pair of pliers or possibly even by hand.

: : I am replacing a faucet in my 65 year old house. When I disconnected the trap from the outlet pipe, the threaded portion of the outlet pipe (drain pipe) fell off. Now I need to replace the drain pipe that is extending from my ceramic tiled wall. I am unable to remove it to replace it and cannot figure out whether it is simply corroded or if I am not trying to remove it correctly. There is something that looks like it is possibly a brass adapter of some sort that the drain pipe is extending from. The 'adapter' is hex shaped and has threads on the outside. I cannot turn the 'adapter' in either direction, nor can I manage to turn the drain pipe in either direction. The drainpipe is approximately 6" long, 4.5" of which extend from the wall. The distance to the back of the suppy line from the drain pipe is about 9". Is there some special way to remove the drain pipe? Thanks for the advice.

Replies to this post
There are none.