Re: Repipe
Posted by hj on January 04, 1999 at 14:54:46:
In response to Re: Repipe
The sizes you now have are very adequate. As far as the main supply goes, My expperience has been that for less than 100 feet copper is best. Over that, use PVC and increase the size. If you use PVC, then you also have to install an electrical ground rod to compensate for the loss of the metallic electrical ground.

: I'm seriously considering re-piping my 1story house (from galvanized to copper) but had some questions.
: First, would it be smart and worthwhile to upgrade the pipe size to achieve higher volume? Right now,
: I've got 1" from the meter to the house and then 3/4" thereon (reduces to 1/2" at the fixtures). I've gotten
: several bids on the re-pipe but different opinions on upgrading the pipe size. Some plumbers have
: recommended to match what I have currently, while others have said to run 1" all the way to the water
: softener and then 3/4'' from thereon. Or can I go larger than 1"? And what about the pipe size for hard water locations (i.e. hose bibs,
: kitchen sink, etc.)? Lastly, what about the pipe size from the meter to the house and from a durability
: standpoint, should this be copper or PVC (either is acceptable by local code)?

: Thanks for your help!

:
:

Replies to this post