Low Water Pressure
Posted by Sean on December 31, 1998 at 08:22:40:
I just read a message below regarding low water pressure in a system charged by a submersible pump. I have just built a new house and have the exact same problem. Here are the particulars - drilled well, submersible pump, 40 gal pressure tank, pressure boosted from original 40 up to 50 psi, tankless hot water service, hot water radiation heat, 1/2 copper piping throughout domestic water. 1 and 1/2 baths, kitchen sink and washer spread over two floors.

When I turn on one facuet and then another, even in the same bathroom, the pressure in one will be reduced to practically nothing. This is very annoying when running a bath while trying to rinse out your toothbrush - or trying to run the bath while someone is filling the kitchen sink. This is a brand new house and its kind of annoying. I built the house myself but I had to have a certified plumber do the rough-in. In retrospect I would have had 3/4" piping used but I am not sure if this a part of my problem. Here are the things I think may be the problem - but remember, I am not a plumber so some may seem way off base. Please comment on them.

system pressure is too low
pressure tank is too small
inadequate size piping
restricted flow through boiler (crud from well may cause a clog as system was not run for a long period of time before furnace hookup) or reduction in pressure to accommodate heating of water as it passes through
disgruntled plumber left a plug in the system that was to be removed when he returned to do the fixtures (I decided I could manage this on my own)

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year!

Sean

Replies to this post