Re: water tanks
Posted by Erika Trapp on February 04, 2002 at 10:17:53:
In response to Re: water tanks
: The tank holds 32 gallons of something. That something is a combination of air and water. The air pressure in the tank is set at the lowest pressure you can live, for a few moments, with if the pump were turned off. The less air pressure the more water in the tank. If there is no air, then the tank is full of water, but a slight usage of water will reduce the pressure drastically and the pump will come on. A little bit of water will repressurize the tank and the pump will go off, on, off, on, off as long as water is being used. You have to find the optimum setting where the on off cycles are at their maximum, regardless of how much wateris in the tank. Also, 32 gallons is quite small for a whole house system, 100 gallons is more adequate.

: : Terry,
: : The below is a light-hearted posting to a newsgroup but the question is for real. I paste it in as follows:
: : "I'm sure I've come to the right place for answers to my questions and you folks will straighten me right
: : out. So here's the place where those really deep mysteries of life can be resolved? Well maybe,
: : but more likely here than the teenage clerk at the hardware store.
: : Unlike our urban counterparts we get our water from a well. It's a casing that goes down quite a few
: : feet. Never measured it but I think the pump is about forty feet down which rules out the deep aquifer
: : and for sure is what I call surface water. Looking at my neighbor's pond, it's down at least twelve feet
: : so I guess there's lots of reserve left because the irrigation pumps around here are drawing from the
: : deep aquifer and I don't think that even affects our surface aquifer. But to get to the heart of my
: : confusion. Our tank became waterlogged (again) and I said the h--- with it, I'll get a new one that don't
: : get waterlogged so easily. I did that and since we are now only two old folks I figured a 32 gallon
: : pressurized tank should be plenty.
: : The instructions for installation were hidden in the bottom of the crate and I never bother with
: : instructions anyway unless something doesn't work. I installed the tank and checked the pressure in it.
: : It had twenty nine pounds. Our pump comes on at twenty two. So I just turned on the switch and then
: : bled air out until the switch cut in and the thing pumped water up to about forty pounds. Then I bled a
: : couple more pounds for good measure and lo! Everything was "hunky dory". But here's what bothers
: : me:
: : It's really humid around here and I can see the sweat on the outside of the tank that shows where the
: : water level is. It's only about a little less than one quarter way up the tank.
: : I don't think the manufacturer is out to fool me but I thought it should be more than that. Is this like
: : the little light in the refrigerator that's supposed to go out when we shut the door. Do we just take it on
: : faith that the tank really has the proper amount of water in it. Should I face the almost unheard of
: : possibility that I have done something stupid and not installed the thing correctly?
: : Having no big troubles to worry about, I worry about the little things so I went across the road to my
: : neighbor's place where he has four big (and I mean big) chicken houses with evaporation cooling units.
: : He has two big pressurized tanks fed by a deep well. I looked at the sweat marks on the outside of
: : them and darned if his tanks show only less than one quarter the way up.
: : Should I form a protest group for 'honesty in advertising' and call the manufacturer to accounts for
: : selling a thirty two gallon tank that doesn't come close, or can someone here clue me in on how much
: : air and how much water should be in a pressurized tank. Of course when they sold the thing, they just
: : said thirty two gallons but they didn't say thirty two gallons of what.
: : But seriously, is there any way to really tell when a tank is on it's way to being waterlogged and how
: : much water is supposed to be in the tank as opposed to air. I always listened to how often the pump
: : cycled when someone was drawing water but using that as a benchmark, 'the mule would have died
: : before I thought it should be fed'.
: : I'm sure I've come to the right place for answers to my questions and you folks will straighten me right
: : out. And oh! about that little light in the refrigerator...

: :
: : It's really humid around here and I can see the sweat on the outside of the tank that shows where the water level is. It's only about a little less than one quarter way up the tank.
: : I don't think the manufacturer is out to fool me but I thought it should be more than that. Is this like the little light in the refrigerator that's supposed to go out when we shut the door. Do we just take it on faith that the tank really has the proper amount of water in it. Should I face the almost unheard of possibility that I have done something stupid and not installed the thing correctly?
: : Having no big troubles to worry about, I worry about the little things so I went across the road to my neighbor's place where he has four big (and I mean big) chicken houses with evaporation cooling units. He has two big pressurized tanks fed by a deep well. I looked at the sweat marks on the outside of them and darned if his tanks show only less than one quarter the way up.
: : Should I form a protest group for 'honesty in advertising' and call the manufacturer to accounts for selling a thirty two gallon tank that doesn't come close, or can someone here clue me in on how much air and how much water should be in a pressurized tank. Of course when they sold the thing, they just said thirty two gallons but they didn't say thirty two gallons of what.
: : But seriously, is there any way to really tell when a tank is on it's way to being waterlogged and how much water is supposed to be in the tank as opposed to air. I always listened to how often the pump cycled when someone was drawing water but using that as a benchmark, 'the mule would have died before I thought it should be fed'.
: : I'm sure I've come to the right place for answers to my questions and you folks will straighten me right out. And oh! about that little light in the refrigerator...

Replies to this post
There are none.