Re: Water Heater Leaks
Posted by Terry Love on March 26, 1998 at 14:33:40:
In response to Re: Water Heater Leaks

: Can I replace the drain valve on my gas water heater or do I have to replace the whole thing. If I can, how do I get it out? i've tried and obviously am too stupid to accomplish this feat.

: thanks

The drain valve can be replaced by unthreading it counter clockwise. It is a good idea, to have the new one on hand. The pipe thread is 3/4" MIP.
Some of the plastic drains will break when removeing. Cutting nearly through (carefull of the threads) and applying heat with a torch helps to collasp the valve inward.

by the way, you may want to consider how old the tank is and decide first, if you call in a plumber, if it is worth it to install the new drain or to replace the tank at that time. You will be about halfway to a new tank.

Replies to this post
There are none.