Re: Gerber toilet, special gasket, still leaks.
Posted by Allen Mayar on July 11, 2001 at 12:02:52:
In response to Re: Gerber toilet, special gasket, still leaks.
I have the same problem, how did you fix yours

: : Recently, I asked here if Gerber toilets used a special tank-to-bowl gasket, since the new one I'd installed leaked like a fire hose. The answer was: Yes. I located the gaskets locally and installed one. The result was a small leak (much smaller than with the "normal" gasket, but a leak nonetheless). I tried the other new gasket, just to be safe (I bought 2 gaskets while I was at the plumbing store), with the same result.

: : The guy at the store suggested I wasn't cranking the tank down tight enough, but I'm afraid to tighten the bolts any tighter for fear of cracking the bowl.

: : Several questions arise:
: : 1) I had recently replaced the flush/valve assembly and was wondering if Gerber had a special one of those.

: : 2) I replaced the bolts at the same time. These bolts have a rubber washer directly contacting the tank on both the inside and outside surfaces. The inside gasket is snugged up by the bolt head. The outside gasket by a washer and nut. (That assembly is installed with the tank totally off the bowl). The tank is then held to the bowl by a washer & wingnut, which is what I tightened to the point of being afraid. Does that sound right or wrong to anyone?

: : 3) There were 2 or 3 little black rubber "cushions" between the tank and the bowl. They fell off when I removed the tank the first time, so I'm not sure where they should be. Could misplacing those be causing my leak?

: : I really hate to call in a plumber for such a minor issue, but I'm really not sure what to do next.

: : Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. If I need to provide any clarifying feedback, I'll be glad to.

: : Thanks!!!
: : -dave

: If the water is leaking between tank and bowl,
: Check for any cracking of the tank.
: Does the gasket fill between tank and bowl.
: Do the bolts have rubber washers under the flat heads?
: You can in a pinch, if there are no cracks, use silicone to better the seal.

Replies to this post