Re: Stinky Sink
Posted by andrew on July 06, 2001 at 11:27:32:
In response to Re: Stinky Sink
You described exactly what I have been experiencing for the last few months. Upstairs bath sink, cold water only. Not a trace of odor from any other faucet or fixture. Smells for a few seconds, and then goes away. Iron bacteria might have built up in the softener resin tank, and brine tank; in pipes too? I shocked the brine tank with 1/2 cup of bleach, then regenerated, but smell seems to still be there. And the odor is not present in the untreated water (proof that bacteria is in the system/pipes). Think I might drain pipe & fill with solution of bleach to eliminate that possibility.

Andrew

: Mr. Love,
: We have a sulphurish/rotten egg smell eminating from our bathroom faucet. It only comes from the cold water side, and only after the faucet has not been used for a while (several hours). The smell does go away after a couple of minutes.
: I installed that sink and faucet within the last year. We have well water but is softened with a Culligan water softener. The smell comes from no other water in the house.
: We're certain the smell is coming from the cold water side and not the drain.
: Is this a concern? Will it get worse? Any comments are welcome.

: Thanks, Howard

Replies to this post
There are none.