Re: Floor Tile
Posted by Keith L. on November 12, 1998 at 16:06:32:
In response to Re: Floor Tile
I used 1/2" cement board, I think it was Durock there are several brands out there, you can score it with a utility knife and snap it like drywall, so they say. I wasn't to happy with the results of this method and chose to use an old circular saw with a masonary blade. Don't use a good saw if you have a lot to cut it really throws the dust, if you don't have an old $10.00 yard sale special borrow your neighbors (ha ha). I put a layer of 30# felt paper down first on the plywood subfloor (make sure you mark your floor joist locations on the wall before you cover the nail heads up with the felt), then I mixed up a batch of thinset morter, put that down with 1/4" notched trowel over top the felt paper, then lay the cement board in that. The cement board should then be screwed down, they sell $pecial screws to be used with cement board, try to screw into the joists when you can. Try to make the screws flush with the cement board it will make the tiling a little easier. Next tape the joints with the mesh tape, I put a little thinset in the crack first then the tape and then more thinset was troweled (regular trowel) on to feather it out. Good Luck.

Replies to this post
There are none.