Re: CPVC pipe
Posted by hj on May 10, 19101 at 09:09:38:
In response to Re: CPVC pipe
It is in Scottsdale, AZ so it does not freeze. It is a "dead" system in that once it is filled, the same water stays in it so chlorine is not a factor. It seems to be a case of deterioration either from age or temperature since the lines are in the ceilings where it can get quite warm.

: ok this is the first hint I have had about a specific problem with cpvc. what causes this mysterious break in the middle of the night?

: Freezing? or does the plastic deteriorate?
: Reaction with chlorine or other chemicals in the water?

: : It is not the "cheap plastic syndrome" but rather the "plastic breaking in the middle of the night or while we are on vacation" syndrome. Around here, all new homes use it for fire sprinkler systems and having it start leaking from the ceiling is not an unusual occurance.

: : : CPVC pipe does not seem very popular either for new homes or repiping. (except for trailer houses). Can anybody tell me why?
: : : It seems to be code approved in most areas (unlike PEX). doesnt have any pinhole or corrosion probems. actualy i can't seem to find any negative info on CPVC on the web. But hardly anybody uses it for any upscale homes.
: : : Is it just the "cheap plastic" prejudice? or am i missing something.

Replies to this post
There are none.