Re: Sewer Smell in Bedroom - HELP!!!!
Posted by Terry Love on April 14, 19101 at 13:43:38:
In response to Re: Sewer Smell in Bedroom - HELP!!!!

: We have a 12-year old, 2-story house and one of the upstairs bedrooms has recently developed a strong sewer smell. The bedroom shares one wall with a bathroom but we cannot detect any odor at all in the bathroom nor have we noticed any obvious signs of water damage that might originate in the bathroom.

: We moved a lot of the furnishings around in the bedroom to try and discover the source but the only thing we found was one of the windows seemed to have a stronger smell than the rest of the room.

: I climbed up and checked that there was no blockage and/or water collection in the gutter or drainpipe that is located directly outside this window. Also, I did a cursory look in the attic over the room and although it was not a thorough check, I did not notice any smell or obvious signs of water.

: Any ideas as to what our next step should be? If there is something we could check that would be great. If not, what kind of professional should we call in? A plumber, handyman, GC?

Jim,
That is a tough one. It can be several things.

No smell in the bathroom, ( hmmm, no bad wax on the toilet or unfilled traps I guess.)

It does smell in the bedroom. ( Could be a loose vent pipe in the wall? which you could check with smoke perhaps. Or it could be something simple like critter urine. I have seen critters get into walls, or run through attics and leave some very bad smelling reminders. )

If you do find urine in walls, it is a good idea to paint over it with a stain blocker like Zerolac.
Don't even think of using bleach on it. That creates a potent gas that is harmful. Just paint over it and that should seal it.
Terry

Replies to this post
There are none.