Re: LEAKING SHOWER
Posted by Charlie on April 01, 19101 at 17:17:42:
In response to Re: LEAKING SHOWER
There are various possible reasons for this, and you or someone you hire needs to be somewhat scientific to figure out which it is. here are the possibilities I can think of:
1. Faulty copper or synthetic pan under the tile in the floor and bottom of wall. You can test this by finding a stopper that will plug the shower drain (maybe one of the flat rubber stoppers), fill the floor area with a couple inches of water, and see if it leaks below. If it does, this is a biggie, and you will probably have to have a tile person rip out the bottom and redo it all.
2. The drain could have a leak. Maybe the trap was never glued right or attached right to the shower drain. If you pased the previous test, then when you let the water out, you would get a leak if this is the problem.
3. The supply could leak, especially perhaps at the in the wall junction where the shower arm is screwed in. You could test for this by running the shower into a big bucket up on a ladder or stool (so nothing spills on the floor), and then seeking if there's any leakage downstairs. This would be an easier thing to fix.
4. Still some lingering problem with the door attachment or the threshold, which may not be watertight. To test this, get a plastic tarp and some saran wrap. Get in the shower (ready to get wet. Your plumber probably wouldn't volunteer for this test.) cover the door from the inside with the plastic sheet, taping it with duct tape to the walls if necessary to make sure it is tight. Carefully cover the threshold with the saran wrap. Now relax and take a nice long shower. When you're relaxed, so see if it leaked downstairs.
Good luck!

: MY HOU
SE IS ONLY 10 YEARS OLD.I FOUND OUT THAT EVERY TIME WE TAKE A SHOWER,THERE'S WATER COMING OUT UNDERNEATH THE TILED SHOWER.THE SHOWER IS LOCATED UPSTAIR IN THE MASTER BEDROOM.I HIRED SOMEBODY TO FIX IT & THEY TOLD ME THAT THE WATER WAS COMING OUT FROM THE SHOWER DOOR.I HAVE THEM REPLACED IT TO NO AVAIL.

Replies to this post