Re: Shower drain not to code
Posted by Terry Love on March 26, 19101 at 11:46:49:
In response to Re: Shower drain not to code

: Terry, I am installing a 3/4 bath in my basement. I have carved out the concrete and found a 3 inch drain pipe to connect my toilet to, but the pipe I have found to connect my sink and shower to is a 1-1/2 inch pipe. To connect the shower to the 3 inch, I would have to cut up another 8 feet of concrete, so I would like to use the 1-1/2 for my sink and shower. I've heard that the shower calls for 2 inch to be up to code, but will 1-1/2 be okay? My drain would be about 18 inches from the pipe I'm connecting to. If I connect to this pipe, I will only be using 1-1/2 to prevent a larger 2 inch scaling down to the 1-1/2.

: One other question. If it is okay to connect to the 1-1/2, is it acceptable to use 2 inch vent pipe for all 3 items (sink,commode, shower)?

: (FYI, the 1-1/2 inch is the drain for my kitchen sink and dishwasher on the floor above)

Jeff,
That 1.5" pipe is already overloaded!

With current codes, you would need a 3" pipe up to the point that the shower and lav tie in.

The washer and kitchen sink are considered 3 fixture units each, which means you would need a 2" just for them.
Adding the shower puts you over the 2" limit on the horizontal run, which means 3".

A 2" vent would do fine for the bathroom set.

Replies to this post
There are none.