Re: water heater needs constant resetting sometimes
Posted by Sleepy on March 14, 19101 at 01:13:44:
In response to Re: water heater needs constant resetting sometimes
I would guess one or both thermostats are sticking open, or making poor contact. Check them for soot or burned places,
which would indicate they have overheated and the contacts are maybe burned. Also look for discolored wires
which would also indicate an overheating problem, usually associated with burned contacts. Thermostats are
not very expensive. You could just replace both of them and see if that solved the problem. (You will need 2 different kinds)
You probably should also double check the wiring to make sure it was wired correctly to begin with.
Check all wire nuts and connections, and everything that looks like it was installed with the water heater.

: My water heater needs to be reset constantly, I can hear it running and have to go and push the reset
: button on it, if i hear it running, that means I have no hot water! This is very sporadic, sometimes it
: doesn't happen for weeks or months then it starts doing it and last for weeks. What could be the problem.
: It's a fairly new water heater - appx. 5 years old. It was installed by Sears and last year I had them come
: out to check on this very problem and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Any ideas! It's driving
: me nuts!!

Replies to this post