Re: Water through the mortar!
Posted by Charlie on March 08, 19101 at 08:55:06:
In response to Re: Water through the mortar!
It sounds as though the groundwater diagnosis is right, but it might be aggravated by previous drainage lines along or near the foundation from the time before this last room was built. That would also explain the leak locations. But in any case, I think you certainly need the outside drain system and perhaps also an inside one. For the outside one, I would dig a 2' wide trench with a backhoe on the front and two sides down below floor level, lay drainage pipe at the bottom, backfill halfway with inch and a half crushed stone, maybe even put another layer of drain higher, reduce to 3/4 stone near the top, then to pea stone, then geotextile (to keep silt out), then sand, then topsoil, trying to keep the surface sloped away from the house. The drains should carry water to drywells in the back and/or to outlets on the surface in the back, in ase thw ater table is so high that there will be no infiltration in the drywells. This will probably fix the problem. If your still have floor leakage, you can also hire a "B-dry" contractor to install internal drains around the inside perimeter of the floor, but I don't think you need or want that unless all else fails. If you wanted to monitor the operation of your new exterior drain system, you could insert a couple of vertical pieces of pipe to use as monitoring ports for water levels, but I think this drain system will do it as long as there is a place for it to drain to.

: Gday all,
: I have water coming through the walls of my downstairs room - through the mortar, and also up through the concrete floor, leaching salt out. A bit about my layout, excuse my naive terminology - I just flush em, I don't fix em.

: My block slopes from the road frontage down to the back. The back of the house has a split level with a rumpus room underneath. Along one side of the room, the ground level is about 1.5 metres above the room's floor at the highest point. Along this side, a previous owner looks to have dug it out, probably laid ag pipe, and backfilled with broken tiles etc. Then a layer of soil (clay), then a layer of large scoria. This room was an extension, there's also an old under the house room further under the house. When it rains heavily, water enters at two points (soon after the rain starts) - at each corner of the room closest to the old-under-the-house-room. Through the brick mortar.

: Our block doesn't have a stormwater drain. Just at the back of this rumpus room we have a pit with a float valve operated pump. This pumps water straight onto the back lawn, towards the lowest level corner. I believe a previous owner has dug soak pits (is that what they're called?) in that corner. I haven't dug them up to look, but there's bits of concrete, steel offcuts and broken tiles poking through the lawn in spots. Also, I know from a neighbour that the last owner laid ag pipe across the front of the house, along a garden bed.

: My feeling is that the basic problem is the groundwater level goes up quickly when it rains, and the block, despite some good intentions, doesn't get rid of it fast enough. It looks like a fair amount of plumbing has been done here in the past, and I don't really want to get burnt (aside from the fact that I bought the place, but that's water under the bridge)

: Sorry to be so lengthy. My basic questions are is the groundwater thing the likely problem? What kind of solutions should I be looking at? I'm thinking of digging one hell of a deep drain all the way around the front of the block, but I don't think the wife will agree with an open channel

: Any responses would be greatly appreciated, here or at sgillon.pms@parasoft.com.au

: Cheers
: Steve

Replies to this post
There are none.