Re: replacing cast iron steam pipe with copper tubing
Posted by hj on February 28, 19101 at 01:16:36:
In response to Re: replacing cast iron steam pipe with copper tubing
I doubt that the lines are cast iron. More likely black steel. If you change them to copper, you will likely find that they will not last very long. The steam will have a scouring action which will deteriorate the lines fairly quickly. And if you have a two pipe system, the return water, being pure water will erode the copper and cause pinholes in it. Stick with the black stell piping.

: My wife and I have bought an old house. It has a gas fed steam boiler and cast iron feed and return pipes, and cast iron radiators. The system needs a good cleaning--some radiators don't get hot, those that do really do though. The hot and cold water lines in the house are an array of every metal known to man. Also, the floors are not worth keeping so they will be coming up. With all of this one-time, easy access, I will be repalcing all the hot/cold lines, and wonder if now is the time to replace the cast iron steam lines with copper. What I would hope to gain is a system that is care-free for many years, and one that is laid out better, namely conceling pipes in walls, which is currently not the case.

: I am curious what the above plan will sound like to the board, but the BIG QUESTION is is mixing copper with cast iron radiators and boiler a problem in the 'mixing metals' category?

: Thank you for your thoughts,
: Paul

Replies to this post
There are none.