Re: water softener
Posted by Russell Harrison on February 13, 19101 at 19:39:07:
In response to Re: water softener
: I disconnected my water softener, turned it on its side, and hosed out a cake deposit on the bottom of the tank, left there by a salt bridge. When I reconnected it and opened the bypass valve (allowing water to enter the softener) a steady stream of water began to flow out of the overflow hose. This happens constantly. The only way to stop it is to close the bypass valve and bypass the softener. What could be causing this please, and how do I fix it. Thanks..Bob Shaffrey

Bob, from your description, it sounds like you probably have an electric cabinet style water softener. Most of these softeners do not have an upper distributor in the media tank. By laying the unit on its side, this may have allowed the resin to get into the head of the unit. Disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly can generally releave the problem. Check the screens in your closest faucet and see if you have any resin in them. Resin is a polystyrene bead about the size of a grain of sand. Generally brownish in color. If you find this in the faucet screens, you have it in the head of your unit also. If you need assistance, call your local Kinetico dealer.
Good luck,
Russ

Replies to this post
There are none.