Copper Gas Piping
Posted by Sean Dillon, reply Bud...Suncoast Plumbing Inc. on November 01, 1998 at 10:54:11:
Upon replacing my gas cooktop, I have found that my existing gas lines are copper. I have been told that copper is no good for natural gas. The additives to make the gas odorous damages the copper. I have chosen to leave the plumbing (for now) I want to re-plumb but the job looks difficult due to space a nd where thye pipes are run. How concerned should I be about the copper lines. They have been installed for over 40 years. Sean

Sean:---Copper is just fine for gas piping, and has been for as long as I've been in the biz (50+ years) Opinions are like noses, everyone has one.
Mercaptum, the odorant in bottled and natural gas has no adverse effects on copper. The joints in a copper gas system that are inside a wall must be silver soldered with an alloy containing at least 15% silver. Flare fittings are permitted on soft tubing, but joints must be exposed. My guess your piping will still be OK 40 years from now..Bud

Replies to this post