Re: Gas water heater goes out during high use.
Posted by hj on January 26, 19101 at 08:57:51:
In response to Re: Gas water heater goes out during high use.
I would suspect poor ventilation rather than excessive fresh air. The condition you describe will occur if you have poor ventilation or a plugged flue so carbon monoxide builds up in the heater room and eventually extinguishes the flames, shutting down the safety pilot. Install a CO detector in the room and see if it activates. Any home, (especially mobile homes), with a gas burning appliance in it should have CO detects as a standard item.

: I have a manufactured home with a 40 gal. gas water heater. During or after high use I find the pilot out. When I re-light it there is water condensation in the burner orifices.As it begins to heat up, a lot of condensation will drip from in the flue-stack. Could this be because it is pulling air very cold moist air from outside and condensing it in the flue? I have ruled out a leaky tank. The problem just started this winter. A cover that protected the opening under the house is missing since summer and allows air from outside to enter the combustion air vent directly.

Replies to this post
There are none.