Re: Changing tub/shower fixtures, any ideas?
Posted by George on January 20, 19101 at 15:31:11:
In response to Re: Changing tub/shower fixtures, any ideas?
: I have a 28 yr. old home that needs the faucets updated. I'm motivated enough to do the exchange myself but want it to go smooth like butter. I've searched the web and really can't find a primer for this task.

: The tub/shower is encased with 4 1/4" tile. It has 6 pieces to it. (1)Shower nozzle, (2&3)hot & cold knobs, (4) knob for drain (which doesn't work now!), (5)a metal disk piece near the top of the tub that appears to be somekind of overflow piece, (6)the drain ring with a stopper that has a handle you twist to stop the water drain.

: Do I need to know exactly what brand I currently have because I'll need to buy that same brand again or can I change brands? Is there anything in the interior of the wall plumbing wise I have to be concerned about? How do you change the drain portion? Is there anything (probably so) that I'm missing or need answers for? Thanks

If you just want new handles, you should be able to buy newer handles, but it must be the same manufacturer. You can also get a universal tub spout and shower head. You should also be able to find replacements for the drain plug and overflow that should fit. Now these are only cosmetic changes. You said the drain knob doesn't work. I'm not sure what you mean by this. Could be minor fix or major fix. The only way to replace the entire shower set and tub drain kit is to be able to get into the walls and under the tub. If you like the bathroom the way it is, I wouldn't bother, otherwise re-do the entire bathroom. As far as a primer, I assume you mean a book to refer to. Buy "Plumbing a house" by Peter Hemp. It is an excellent reference and is well worth the $22 I paid for it.

Good luck

Replies to this post
There are none.