Re: Water heater thermostat
Posted by Charles Goodman on December 10, 19100 at 17:51:19:
In response to Re: Water heater thermostat
: My water heater was running out of hot water real fast. After making a few tests I realized the bottom element was not working. I went out and bought a new element but after installing it still didn't work. The upper thermostat has two positive electrical posts, one that the top thermostat is connected to (the one on the left) and the other is where the bottom thermostat is connected to (one on the right side). I traced the problem to the positive electrical post that the bottom element is connected to. It will not send a charge to the element. It is the weekend and there are no stores open. Until I can replace the upper thermostat, is it safe to connect the bottom element's positive wire to the same post that the top element's postive wire is connected to?

Jody,
Let's go back to square #1. First, if you had hot water to begin with, but didn't last long, then your UPPER element was working. The UPPER THERMOSTAT has priority over the bottom one. This means that until the UPPER ELEMENT has heated the water in the top portion of the heater to the thermostat setting, the LOWER ELEMENT cannot be heating (the water heater is designed for NON-SIMONTANEOUS operation). It usually takes about 20 minutes, under static conditions, for the upper element to satisfy the thermostat and then the UPPER THERMOSTAT will switch the 110 V. to the LOWER THERMOSTAT, and the LOWER THERMOSTAT will determine if the water in the lower part of the heater needs heating. REMEMBER, you must have ll0 V. applied to each terminal of the element (if you read from terminal to terminal you should read 220 V.) You should have one side of each element wired to the same terminal (usually the second terminal up from bottom-right side of upper thermostat) which puts 110 V. constantly.

Replies to this post