Re: Back-pitched shower drain
Posted by hj on December 07, 19100 at 09:00:24:
In response to Re: Back-pitched shower drain
A back pitched drain line from a trap would not cause the sounds you are hearing. It would just convert the trap from a standard one to a deep seal trap. Glubbing sounds are usually caused by water siphoning the trap, and that would be caused by a drain that has too much pitch between the trap and the vent, or a vertical offset in the pipe between the trap and the vent creating an "S" trap. How did he try to clean the vent? DO you have a cleanout opening behind the shower? IF so, remove the plug while the shower is draining. If you do not get the noise the vent is still plugged, and if you do, the problem is in the shower branch drain, and I would expect that the problem would be easier to access from below than through the floor. Maybe you need a different plumber.

: Part of this scenario was described in an earlier posting, so I'll summarize...

: The shower drain started making glug-glug noises after each shower, and we ignored it. After a few weeks, the shower started slow-draining, and then stopped draining entirely. A plumber attempted to clean the vent leading into the shower drain, and this fixed the problem for about two weeks. After two weeks, the noises started again, although it hasn't started clogging (yet).

: Since the work was under warranty, the plumber returned, and after a thorough inspection, told us that the shower plumbing (which is newer than the rest of the house) was installed improperly, and as a result, the drain pipe is "back-pitched." I believe this means that the pipe is angled upwards, causing flow problems.

: He tells me that the only solution requires ripping up most of the bathroom, and replacing it again afterwards. Despite the fact that the rooms below the bathroom are a half-bath and a laundry room, he tells me that going up through the ceiling isn't an option.

: Needless to say, insurance won't cover a dime. Am I as far up a creek without a paddle as I suspect? Do I have any real options?

: Thanks,

: - Neal

Replies to this post
There are none.