Re: Bathtub drain unsnakable
Posted by hj on December 05, 19100 at 00:09:32:
In response to Re: Bathtub drain unsnakable
I don't know how a P trap can be "installed backwards". And unless the sanitary tee is installed on the horizontal pipe between the tub drain and the overflow, there should be no way fo the auger to pass from one point to the other regardless of which opening is being used. But opening the ceiling below is a good idea from your description if for no other reason than to find out how it was installed.

: My bathtub has always drained extremely slowly from day 1 (new construction). It takes about 2-3 hours to drain. I've used gallons of liquid plumber. No luck.
: The builder refuses to fix the problem, saying that it will normally drain slowly due to the total length of drain pipe. A shower adjacent to the bath drains just fine, however, even when I dump a 5-gallon bucket of water into it (11 seconds to drain).
: I hired a master plumber to look at it. He used his power auger, but the auger tip would simply come out the opposite drain, no matter which one was used. He thinks that the p-trap may have been installed backwards. He said he would recommend opening up the sheetrock ceiling from below, troubleshoot, then have the sheetrock repaired.
: Is that the direction I should take? Any diagrams on how to correctly and INcorrectly install a P-trap?
: Thanks.

Replies to this post
There are none.