Re: Shower stall drain fitting question
Posted by hj on November 03, 19100 at 08:24:59:
In response to Re: Shower stall drain fitting question
The rubber gasketed model will work just fine. You have to secure the drain to the shower pan before setting it son any connection has to be made between a stationary pipe and a stationary drain. Some drains use a rubber seal that is "caulked" into place and they also seal properly.

: Folks,
: I'm a homeowner and trying to replace the upstairs shower (a plastic shower pan with tiled
: wall arrangement) with a 2 piece fiberglass unit. I'd rathern not have to cut away the downstairs
: stippled ceiling to get access to the floor drain plumbing from underneath the shower stall.
: (Reason: this gives much more work in repairing the opening, replacing the stipple, and then
: painting the whole ceiling there). But feel that I can prepare the plumbing from the top (access)
: by cutting away some plywood flooring, positioning the drain pipe correctly, and then replace the
: plywood flooring that was cut away. Then I can set the fiberglass unit in place. The question is
: this: does a floor shower drain fitting exist that allows me to connect to the drain pipe (2" PVC)
: from the top, without having to gain access from below, AND, is reliable agains leaks? (I'd like it
: to last at least 10 years not leaking, if possible). Please help me.
: I have purchased two styles, one is: a type made of PVC and of solvent weld connection
: to the drain pipe (seems to require access from below to glue the connections between it and
: the drain pipe). The other is a cast brass type with an elongated rubber ring seal that fits into
: the brass fitting and goes around and seals around the outside of the 2" PVC drain pipe.
: (It has a threaded ring that screws into the inside of the drain fitting and pushes down on the
: rubber ring so that it tightens against the outside of the 2" PVC down drain pipe. This system
: does not seem as watertight as the solvent weld variety). Is there a better system out there
: that I can do this job without cutting out the downstairs ceiling to gain access to the plumbing?
: Say, a fitting that has a more secure screw in type of arrangement that I can connect to the
: drain piping from the top, by, say, a screw-in motion? Please please help me. Thank you
: very much. I would also like advice on the cast brass drain fitting I described, please. Is it
: reliable, and would you use it in your home. Thank you very very much.
: tony de crescentis

Replies to this post
There are none.