Re: Wall-hung toilets: Source for wall seal gaskets and no-stress mounting washer
Posted by hj on October 31, 19100 at 23:28:43:
In response to Re: Wall-hung toilets: Source for wall seal gaskets and no-stress mounting washer
The holes are not to weaken it. They are there so that once the toilet is secured with the other three bolts, you can reach throught the fourth hole with a drift pin, nail, or something similar and back that fourth nut against the rear of the bowl. It is not necessary. As long as the three bolts are secure, you just have to "snug" the fourth acorn nut against the bowl without using more than minimal force. Just enough to keep it from loosening during use. The gaskets can be obtained by plumbing suppliers from J R Smith, Josam, Wade, Zurn, etc. the suppliers of the carriers.

: We have 4, count 'em, 4 "older" American Standard wall hung toilets that after 30 years are sagging slightly due to the supporting "cage" bolt holes loosening in their supporting wall studs over time. The fixtures need to be carefully removed and the adjusting nuts re-adjusted to the original vertical and horizontal alignment so the bowls are again horizontal.

: The original wall mounting device is sturdy cast iron with four 3/4" threasded studs, but uses 2 somewhat unique parts I want to have on hand before attempting to re-level these toilets:

: The sealing ring (normally beeswax on a floor model) is not beeswax but a special fiber type that looks like it was saturated with a waterproof grease. It must be the right choice, because none of the 4 wall seals has leaked a drop in over 30 years of use. Does anyone have a source for these 4" gaskets?

: Porcelain breakage is said to be a major risk with wallhung toilets, since even a minor adjustment error between the 4 backing nuts and the vertical porcelain can cause a crack or break entirely, soon or some day.

: My plumber at the time picked his favorite mounting system which used the conventional "sandwich" for 3 of the 3/4" standard-thread studs. It consisted of a standard nut near the cast-iron, then the porcelain, a rubber washer, a chrome finish washer and a chrome finish cap-nut. The 3 inner nuts close to the cast-iron were adjusted to be perfectly plumb and exactly flush with the finish wall.

: The 4th inner "nut" is what I am looking for, as I am concerned the originals may have become corroded from condensation over the years and not be safely reusable. It looks like a standard washer for 3/4" bolts, but is threaded to fit the stud bolt and has a circle of small holes punched in it to weaken it slightly.

: The installer is instructed to carefully poke a wire alongside the 4th stud bolt into any hole in the special threaded washer and "back it up" until it firmly touches the back of the porcelain, then install the rest of the "sandwich" the same as the other three bolts.

: Clever, because if installed correctly, the weakened threaded washer apparently flexes enough to absorb stresses in use and prevents porcelain cracks and/or breakage.

: If this system is familiar to anyone, do you have or can you point me toward a few of these stress-relief threaded washers and/or the fiber-type wall rings described above? Many thanks,

: Rick--Alaska

Replies to this post
There are none.