Re: Needing advice...
Posted by Terry Love on October 13, 19100 at 11:47:24:
In response to Re: Needing advice...

: I am in the process of having my bedrooms built on to. I have had a contractor doing the work. I have extended my bedroom and my children's bedrooms out....making them larger. I have extended my bedroom (which is on the end of the house) out 10 feet...it was a 12 x 12 bedroom. Hopeing to make it a 12 x 22. I have been told by this contractor that he can't take all of the wall down(the wall between the existing bedroom and the new addition) that he must leave a foot of the wall on both sides and that I will have a beam comming down from the ceiling of about 6 inches where the room and the new addition meet. He says we need that for support. I was really hopeing to open this up completely...making this one large bedroom. Could you please tell me....Is this possible???? Belinda

Belinda,
All things are possible. Some things just take more time and money.
Without seeing this, I will venture this,
The supports could be put on the outside walls, more time and money, but maybe it could be done.
The beam could be raised higher, (maybe)

A thought, If you think of the support considerations as decorative and could incorporate them further into the design, they could become a standout part of the look. They way most builders do that is by "adding" matching posts and dropping corners or soffits to created balanced rooms. If the look is balanced, nobody cares that the original reason was for structure. Terry Love

Replies to this post