Re: Resurfacing fiberglass tub
Posted by Dean Smith on October 10, 19100 at 11:42:10:
In response to Re: Resurfacing fiberglass tub
: Found a similar question and its answer already posted--you were exactly right on the price...$334 was
: the quote I got. The problem is that I'm not willing to pay that much to resurface a 15 year old tub and
: wouldn't mind attempting the project myself if it can be done to look half-way decent. Our situation is
: that we just moved into a house where it looks like the previous owners filled the tub half-way with bleach
: water and let it sit until it completely ruined the finish. It is now rough to the touch and feels horrible.
: Can you tell me the process to attempt to do this? I'm assuming it starts with some sanding--if so, what
: type of sandpaper--then painting on that product you suggested (Klenk's Aqua something). What does
: a person paint it on with, how many coats, etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't know about resurfacing, but a fiberglass tub is pretty easy to remove, and you can replace it with a new fiberglass one or better yet, get an American Standard Americast tub (about $200). Americast is porcelein-on-steel with a thick resin backing. Unlike other steel tubs, it doesn't have the annoying, cheap "PING" sound when you rap on it. It "sounds" like a good cast iron tub, but only weighs 100 lbs., not 350 like cast iron.

Replies to this post
There are none.