Re: overhead sewage ejector
Posted by Dean Smith on October 04, 19100 at 13:14:46:
In response to Re: overhead sewage ejector
: : I have read many of the messages about ejector pumps but still have not found out the answer to my questions.
: : 1. I want to put a pit into my basement with an ejector pump taking all my sewage and wash water up and out the side of my house and connecting with city sewer. I am refinishing my basement and do not want any backups. How reliable are these setups? Will there be any sewer gas odors once it is installed?
: : Any answers or comments would be helpful.
: : Thanks!

Well, I might not be an expert plumber, but I know the pros & cons of ejector systems, having lived in a house for two years where one was added about 5 years ago, and it serves a master bath, washing machine and a floor drain in the laundry room. I don't know if you can or want to have the ejector pump directly into the city sewer. All you need/want to do is direct the overhead pipes over & down to your MAIN sewer junction in your basement. The overhead "loop" ensures that no water or gas will EVER back up into your basement. Will there ever be any odor? Maybe a little, as you can't entirely seal up the ejector pit, but you can avoid this by building a drywall "closet" (including the ceiling, & get a good sealing door!)around the pit (I assume you are also finishing your basement) and sealing your pit the best you can. We occasionally got a small odor when LOTS of water cycled through the pit (showers, laundry), but that really has not been a problem, especially lately. Having laundry (and in my case, a shower) drain into the pit really helps eliminate the chance of odors, as the massive amounts of plain & soapy water keeps everything clean. A professionally installed system will NEVER allow groundwater or sewage into your basement (I liked Terry's recommendation that the trenches in your foundation be built using concrete saws rather than jackhammers!). In my system, I seem to have groundwater that leaks into my ejector system (UNDER the foundation), but that just means the pump cycles a bit more, it's not "dangerous", as the groundwater can't rise above the floor 'cause I have a sump pump that handles probably 95% of the groundwater pressure. The only "wet" danger with ejectors is if the pump/switch dies without your knowledge & you run the washing machine, causing the pit to overflow. A high water alarm in your pit will help you prevent that, as will BUYING THE BEST PUMP & SWITCH YOU CAN AFFORD!!!!!! I've said it before, but Goulds, Grundfos, Zoeller & Hydromatic are the best out there, and I've ranked them in order of which are best to least best (IMHO-all four of these are top-notch pumps!) after lots of research. I was strongly recommended to avoid pressure (diaphram) and "captive" float switches (many Zoellers have these, its a float that rides up a rod & trips a switch lever-toilet paper can foul it up. Zoellers can be bought without those, however). A good quality "float on a tether" switch is the most reliable, and many of these are NOT mounted to the pump, but are a separate device in which the pump plug goes into the switch plug (which goes in the wall outlet). If it's done right, an ejector system will be completely safe from flooding & backup, 99.9% odor free, and a big asset to your home!

Replies to this post
There are none.