I know what it is! :)
Posted by Laura on October 03, 19100 at 14:43:38:
In response to I know what it is! :)
: A problem has recently arisen in the townhouse I share with two people who work at the same company that I do. Previously, the primary renter and I shared a bathroom, then a new housemate moved in and now he and I share a bathroom. The problem was not occurring until this new housemate moved in, which is why I am hesitant to say that it is a plumbing problem.

: After I take a shower, the bathroom carpet is not wet. The bathroom carpet stays dry well after I take a shower. After this new housemate takes a shower, and hours later (when I return from work) I find that the carpet is saturated with water.

: When I started the dialog on this with the housemates, the new one claimed that the water was leaking through small cracks between the tiles. I have a hard time believing this because: 1) The bathroom is not soaked when I am the only one having taken a shower and 2) I know for a fact that if the shower curtain is positioned a certain way and the shower head is set to a hard stream (which he uses; I use a different setting), the water will bounce off the tiles and spill onto the floor.

: The primary renter cannot contact the landlord, because she is out of the country.

: My housemates are Chinese, and have had some adjustment problems -- for example, one flooded the kitchen because he put dishwashing liquid in the dishwasher. I am concerned that this new housemate is ignorant to the proper way to prevent problems like this. He has mentioned, recently, that he had a similiar problem at his last residence -- which just makes me doubt his theory that the issue is due to plumbing problems even more (especially since I have NEVER had this problem.)

: My questions are:

: 1. Does this problem seem more likely due to negligence or plumbing problems?

: 2. What should I do to eliminate my risk, e.g. what steps can I take to protect myself financially and legally?

: 3. Are there any tests that I can perform by visual inspection and/or with supplies I can purchase (like from Home Depot) to determine the cause, or should I take the initiative to get a plumber ASAP? the primary renter has said that he has contacted the landlord's daughter and arranged a plumber's visit, but I have not yet heard of the results.

: 4. Can anyone recommend any resources available that would list "symptoms" of plumbing problems versus situations caused by negligence?

: Please advise at your earliest convenience. I have been asked to not use that bathroom until the floor has dried completely, and the primary renter has not provided any alternatives in the meantime (like allowing me to use his bathroom). I am in the process of starting a renter's insurance policy, but it is not currently in effect and I am very concerned about this.

: Thank you. :)

Anne,

Your post is hilarious to me, because this happened to me when my sister and her boyfriend came to visit me for a week! I couldn't believe how much water was on the floor after her boyfriend showered! I was wondering what he was thinking... Was he even using the shower curtain? Luckily for me, I have tile and I just toweled it up everyday. I mentioned this to my sister to see if she could shed some light on the problem. She too had experienced the problem at her apartment one night that her boyfriend had spent the night... she had just thought he had too much wine and didn't pay attention to the shower curtain... since she had only been seeing him for a short period of time, he had only spent the night once...

Well we figured out the real problem... And that's the funny part... he's Chinese! (He's here in America on a student visa.) When my sister talked to him about it we discovered that he did not know how to use a shower curtain! He was used to taking showers with no water barrier! He certainly did not mean to cause a mess... he just didn't know any better.

Anyway, you really should be more open with your roommates... talk to them about the problem... maybe use this post as an ice breaker if your uncomfortable about discussing it with them...

To me, it's really a funny way (if not too much damage was caused to your flooring) to learn about other countries and their practices and customs. I think it is serendipitous!

Good luck...

Laura :)

Replies to this post
There are none.