Re: water heater
Posted by Bud...Suncoast Plumbing on September 17, 19100 at 16:58:07:
In response to Re: water heater
robert: Two possibilities come to mind.
1.) on older water heater installations they sometimes used a "heater tee", the Pressure and Temperature reief valve (T&P valve) screwed into this fitting at the top of the heater. Over time minerals in the water would plug up the space between the sensing element of the T&P valve and the body of the fitting. This would greatly reduce the flow of hot water from the heater.
Another possibility is that the cold water dip tube has collapsed and is not allowing sufficient make up water to enter the heater.
Shut the water and the power off to the heater..unscrew the hot water outlet fitting from the tank..take a piece of 1/2" copper tubing and try to insert it down the opening and into the tank. Sometimes this will require gently tapping it down with a hammer. This passageway must be open to allow water to leave the tank. If there is no apparent problem with the hot side fitting, disconnect the cold water side and pull out the plastic dip tube that is located just beneath the fitting.The dip tube is used to direct incoming cold water to the bottom of the tank. It is possible for the dip tube to collapse under certain circumstances. If you cannot remove it or pass a 1/2" piece of copper pipe down though this opening, you must replace the tube. These tubes are available from supply houses that carry that brand of heater.
Lots of luck...Bud

I'm having a problem a water heater. I have very low pressure comming out of the hot water side. What can I do to fix this problem.

Replies to this post
There are none.