Shouldn't be that difficult...
Posted by Chad on September 09, 19100 at 11:19:49:
I'm on the brink of giving up on what would seem to be a simple leaky faucet repair. The faucet I'm needing to repair is an outdoor faucet. It is on the back of my house and if fed by the main water line. It is a Woodford Antisiphon Model 17. It is the shape of your basic outdoor spicket. One handle which turns for on and off. It has a steady (and increasing) drip which I am sure in the results of an aging gasket.

The problem is that I seem to be unable to dismantle the faucet to get to the gasket. The handle and screw come off fine. Behind this there isn't a nut like on a garden spicket, but a very short faceted "link" that threads into the faucet. I'm not sure what the purpose of this is but I can unscrew this part with a wrench, further revealing the stem which goes into the faucet. There is a flat circular "wall" that the stem leads through, behind which I presume is the gasket.

This is as far as I can get. I can turn the stem to the ON or OFF position but cannot remove it through turning or pulling. Subsequently, the gasket seems inaccessible. Any advise would be appreciated. I'm going to call a plumber I suppose as I keep a hose hooked to the faucet to direct the dripping water away from the house and temps are going to be freezing soon so I can't leave the hose on nor can I continue with the drip. Thanks to anyone who may know how to handle this outdoor faucet. >Chad

Replies to this post