Re: Intermittent flushing
Posted by emily514 on September 07, 19100 at 21:50:21:
In response to Re: Intermittent flushing
: : The toilet in my house exhibits the same problem as one of the earlier posts, it does not always flush all of the contents in the bowl. I did everything you suggested and found no ubstruction in the toilet itself. While I had the toilet out in the yard I placed it across a couple of 2x4's and filled the tank several times. It would flush properly every other time. Feeling that this was an improvement and being at a loss as to what to do next, I reinstalled the toilet. It is now back to it's old behavior, flushing properly perhaps one in ten times.
: : The drains in the house all work fine. I checked the stink pipe to see if there was an ubstruction there, no. I ran large volumes of water down the toilet drain...no problems. The toilet is not that old...about twenty years...and seems to be in fine shape. I also replaced the fill valve...the old one was working but looked as though it was on it's last legs. What next?

A plumber told me that there could be mineral build-up in the small one inch hole in the toilet bowl. He recommended that I take a coat hanger and push it up the small hole. If small concrete-like pieces fell into the water, then build-up is likely. Then, he said to mark the water line with a pencil in the bowl, turn the water off, flush the toilet, scoop remaining water out of bowl and pour Lime-Away or CLR down the overflow tube until the pencil mark is met. Let this sit for a day or longer. He said that the holes in the bowl from where the water comes down from the tank can have build up as well.

Replies to this post
There are none.