Re: Should a plumbing company have to leave clear plastic shims under the toilets in my new home to make them level?
Posted by Terry Love on September 02, 19100 at 15:45:06:
In response to Re: Should a plumbing company have to leave clear plastic shims under the toilets in my new home to make them level?

: I have a brand new home that is almost finished. I noticed one of the toilets would rock when sat on, so I added it to my punchlist. While checking the toilet in the other bathroom, I found a couple of clear plastic shims sticking out underneath to keep the toilet from wobbling. I have never noticed shims on any other toilet, and this setup leaves me with a cheap feeling.

: So, I'd like to know, is this a common practice, or do I need to make the plumbers do something different?

Robert,
Shimming is done when either the floor is off, or the toilet is not flat. Most toilets will have some "rock" even on flat floors. Shimming is sometimes needed. I prefer to shim, and then caulk around the front of the toilet, from bolt to bolt along the front. I leave caulking off the back in case the wax seal leaks. Most of the time, the caulking can be done so the shims don't show. Terry

Replies to this post
  • Thanks Robert 08:52:38 9/07/100(0)