Re: Back Flow
Posted by Bud..Suncoast Plumbing Inc. on September 23, 1998 at 23:11:58:
In response to Re: Back Flow
Julius:---What you need is called a "Back Water" valve and is installed in your sanitary drainage system to prevent occurrences mentioned in your post.
I am not a jailhouse lawyer, nor would I presume to offer you any legal advise in this matter. I have had many instances where similar problems have happened. The City or County in which you reside is responsible for providing you with suitable sanitary drainage, and potable water that is compliance with the established National criteria. They are not hesitent in charging for these services. In cases that I am familiar with, the home owners who have suffered similar experiences were able to secure redress for losses and inconviences due to a malfunctioning sewage collection system. That redress included payment for living expense at a Holiday inn until the mess was cleaned up. In all cases the back water valve was installed at the sewer tap courtesy of the Village. Call the City Legal Dept. and make your complaint known.
If you want the fruit to fall, ya gtta shake the pleasent but be firm. Remember....
The meek will inherit the Earth, if thats O.K.with everyone. Lots of luck...Bud

We have recently had back flow from street drainage through our basement toilet whenever it rains exceptionally hard. The DEP has visited 5 toimes, flushed the drains, and said that we need a 24" drain pipe, not 12" running under the street. In the meantime, we have been told to install a check valve to stop the back flow. What is your opinion on check they work, are there any consequences from installing, etc. It's an expensive job so would like facts before doing. Thanks.

Replies to this post
There are none.