Re: pressure reducing valve replacement
Posted by More on August 20, 19100 at 22:02:56:
In response to Re: pressure reducing valve replacement
: I have very poor water pressure in a 7 year old residential home that I just purchased in suburban Chicago.

: Therte is a pressure reducing valve after the water meter, which according to my local Village water department, may be the culprit, since their records show that there is 105 # pressure in the main (which would have necessitated the valve in the first place.)

: The water department thought that the builders in the area used aither Watts, Febco or Mueller valves. I can read "Parts No. 5CM2" on the brass valve and "Model 5M2" on the metal label, but can decern the manufacturer. The piping seems to be 1" in and 3/4" out of the valve

: I want to replace it with the exact right model, to eliminate plumbing re-work.

: Anybody know what make it is?

: Bruce White

First try opening the pressure reducing valve a little to see if it increases your pressure. Hard water deposits may have bonded to the pressure reducing valve while water was standing still, and caused it to restrict the water flow. If that doesn't work, turn off the water at the meter, remove the union holding the PRV and take it out and look inside it with a strong flashlight. Soak the entire valve in vinegar for a few hours and examine it again. Is the opening larger now? Clean it up with a wire brush and you'll read the manufacturer's name at the discharge side bottom. Put it back in and see if your pressure is better. Wheaton Ill used to get their water from some wells that had calcium deposits and all of Dupage County used Fox River water (back in the days when the chicago river was so polluted that it caught fire from all the petroleum products dumped on it)

Replies to this post