Re: Black Water and Potassium Chloride Water Softener Pellets
Posted by Brian marks CWS-I on August 16, 19100 at 21:40:51:
In response to Re: Black Water and Potassium Chloride Water Softener Pellets
: I have a problem with black water coming from the hot water supply. It usually happens when the faucet is first turned on and clears up within a short time. The water supply is from a well that we have been using for over 20 years with no problems. This problem started last year and I have been trying to figure out what could be causing it. Recently, I have been thinking that the problem began after I purchased a new water softener and switched from using sodium chloride pellets to using potassium chloride pellets. Could the potassium chloride pellets be causing the plack water? Any thoughts you might have on this problem would be appreciated. Thanks.
: Joe

Joe, The smell is caused from sulfate reducing bacteria in your water, reacting to you anode rod in the hot water tank. When chloride levels are elevated by a water softener using either sodium chloride or potassium chloride, this tends to aggrevate the problem. If you use potassium ch, you must remove any grid plate in your salt tank, and set the salt setting up by at least 30.0% to achieve the same capacity as sodium.
You can remove the anode rod,and chlorinate the hot water tank to rid the odor, This voids the warranty. Or you can get aa aluminum replacement rod from the manufacturer. The rods are usually made of magnesium, and these are the ones that cause the odor more often than not.
hope this helps

Replies to this post