Re: Rough in Error on Concrete Slab
Posted by Terry Love on August 08, 19100 at 20:08:44:
In response to Re: Rough in Error on Concrete Slab

: I am in the process of building a house with a volume builder. After framing was completed, I noticed that the toilet drain, vent, and supply lines for the sink in one of the bathrooms is 7" off. The vent and supply lines are supposed to be inside a 6" wall and all of the plumbing is on the outside of the wall. The bathroom is only the width of a bathtub, so making the wall 7" bigger is not going to work. I want my builder to fix it the right way, not the cheapest and I don't want just some helper in my house jack hammering up my bathroom. What is the best way to fix the problem? And what are some wrong ways and things I should watch out for. I want to be able to give my builder some explicit wishes on how I want it fixed. Thanks.

Scott,
Having a new home built is a happy experience that some people survive. Some even do it more than once. It depends on the stress levels you are happy with. I think what you have encountered is the 5% - 10% profit margin syndrome. New home construction has the lowest profit margin in the construction industry. To slow down even a little bit, prices the home above the prevailing market. Workers on these homes are often called tennis shoe contractors, "they have to run all the time".

That being said, standard construction techniques would either be to saw-cut or jackhammer the concrete slab, move the plumbing, and re-pour the concrete.
I would guess that the slab is still rather green and easy to break.

Most restaurants and banks have multiple areas where plumbing is either being installed or removed on a year to year basis. It happens all the time and unless you make a living doing these things, you would not guess how often this happens. The fact that the wall was "missed" is not a large issue when you consider how many hours, and how much material is really needed in the average home.

The best thing for the new homeowner, is to have all important decisions made early on, about colors, carpets, tiles, cabinets, windows, etc.
Having these things on paper makes it easier for the tradesmen to assemble the package without guesswork.

Things that matter in the long run:
2% landscape grade away from the home.
Positive draining of the crawlspace.
Roofs correctly installed, paper under valley metal, and well vented.
Proper foundation supports.
Driveways that slope away if at all possible.

Good luck, and enjoy the experience.
Best regards,
Terry Love

Replies to this post
There are none.