Re: Flexible plastic hoses for cold and hot? water.
Posted by Terry Love on August 03, 19100 at 10:19:32:
In response to Re: Flexible plastic hoses for cold and hot? water.

: Hi Terry,
: I am a fan of Fine Woodworking but found your site through Fine Homebuilding. I am a Kiwi living in the
: North West Pacific, (Republic of Palau,) and wish to build a new home for my wife and family. I have heard
: mention of flexible, water pipes which are connected from a single source and run to each outlet indipendantly
: of each other, with no joins so the chance of a leak seems less. I am told there is a ballcock, or some such
: fitting at one end, so in the event a repair is needed, only the hose to that area is switched off. Where could I see
: something about it on the web? I propose using steel studs and feel to be able to just run hose through would
: be quicker, but how does it hold up? What about hot water, I would need to lag it in some way, I guess? Houses on twon water have very low
: pressure and tank water only in many cases. Your site looks good and I will return to read some more of it later,
: I liked the articles on the Titanic. I guess you could go of forever with that topic in a plumbing sense!
: Cheers,
: Michael.

PEX is an acronym for cross-linked polyethylene. The "PE" refers to the raw material used to make PEX (Polyethylene), and the "X" refers to the cross-linking of the polyethylene across its molecular chains. The molecular chains are linked into a three-dimensional network that makes PEX remarkably durable within a wide range of temperatures, pressures and chemicals.

Flexible, installed with fewer fittings than rigid plumbing systems. A good choice for re-piping and for new homes. Works well for corrosive water conditions.
It can stretch to accommodate the expansion of freezing water and then return to its original size when water thaws. Although it is highly freeze-resistant, no material is freeze-break proof.

Replies to this post
There are none.