Re: Garbage Disposal
Posted by dick on July 21, 19100 at 10:50:10:
In response to Re: Garbage Disposal
: What can I do to get rid of the smell in my garbage disposal. I was planning on pouring some bleach down it but am not sure if that is the best thing to do. I have also heard that you can pour salt donw it. Any advice would be helpful

Bleach is pretty corrosive. probably wouldn't hurt much as long as contact was only for a short time. but i wouldn't use it on a regular basis. Salt is very abrasive and will wear on moving parts, again probably wouldn't hurt once or twice but not recomended on a regular basis.

The odor is usualy caused by a coating of food particles, slime alge and other nasty stuff. Grinding up several trays of ice cubes every once in a while will remove most of this.

ginding up a couple of lemons will help with any remaining traces of odor (although this could get expensive when they are out of season.)

most people with dishwashers, don't seem to have as much problem with disposal odor(still ocasional problems, just not as much). I think the frequent flushing out with very hot water and dishwasher soap tends to get rid of the smell also.

Replies to this post
There are none.