Re: gas piping for pool heater
Posted by More on July 20, 19100 at 15:59:20:
In response to Re: gas piping for pool heater
: Hi:

: I've been getting numerous versions of what is required for the buried gas piping to connect my outdoor gas water heater for a pool.

: The UPC codes I've seen on-line say >18" depth and lists various materials allowable for the pipe. However, one of the quotes I've gotten included a separate trench (the electrical is still open at >18" depth) because gas piping must be flat, and can't follow the ground contour. This obviously is not something I want to do (pay for), if not needed.

: Also, is copper tubing acceptable, assuming the right OD and type, for buried installations??

: Help!!

: Thanks

UPC stands for Uniform Plumbing Code. Are you doing this work with a permit? If the inspector can tell that you are trying to cut corners and get away with it, you are looking to get the job red tagged.In that event, you'll WISH you paid to run the gas right. Buried gas requires a MINIMUM of 18 inches because of the liklihood of someone digging into it, causing a spark and igniting the neighborhood. Do you have a Bond on this work? Will somebody be able to pay for the damages if it blows? Copper for gas, even type L hard copper has the same liklihood of getting damaged at 18 inches, and looks for deeped installations, and therefore isn't used. Gas installed in the electrical trench isn't permitted (as a "common" trench) because of the liklihood of electrical ground corrosion, spark ignition, and digging damage. If you want to save costs, do whatever you're gonna do.If you want to do it by Code, Read and understand the Code. The Quotes you are getting are looking at the liability and bond issue, as well as your ability to pay your bills and get the inspection passed- IF you have a permit. The only reason the regulations are needed are for the protection of you and your loved ones. If you don't want to pay to do it right, don't do it right then.
This page is for those who want to get information about doing it right. They have a pretty good idea of how to just stick it in there.

Replies to this post