Re: Pressure Balance Tub Valves
Posted by dick on July 13, 19100 at 14:22:12:
In response to Re: Pressure Balance Tub Valves
some of the newer valves seem to reduce pressure slightly just because they have a smaller passage thru them. Not a big problem.
Pressure balanced valves don't seem to reduce pressure any worse than other valves.
The anti scald feature on pressure balanced valves is separate from the pressure balancing. It is basicly a stop that prevents you from turning on the hot water all the way. It is adjusted at instalation, and must be readjusted if you change the temp of your water heater.
The anti scald stop does have one undesireable feature, it increases the time you must wait for hot water to get from your heater to the bathtub.

I installed delta monitor 2 pressure balenced valves and installed the anti-scald stops onto the inside of the acess panel behind the faucets.
The faucets work fine without them.

A thermostatic valve would not have the problem waiting for hot water while still retaining the anti-scald feature. If i felt that i really needed the anti-scald feature i would consider one of these valves.

: I'm replacing the tub/shower plumbing too, and was a little worried about the new pressure balance valves as the salesman said that they reduce water pressure significantly. They hedged on whether or not they were REQUIRED (nationally and/or locally) for their anti-scald properties, but all they sell is PBVs or the MUCH more expensive thermostatic valves. Are they right about the pressure not being what I'm used to with the old, regular valves? I remove the restrictors in my showerheads (Speakman 6 jet), anyway, as conservation really isn't THAT important as we live next to Lake Michigan!

: I have already bought the Grohsafe valve on their advice (and we like the fixtures/trim) and am about to install it, but I was wondering if you (Terry and other professionals) feel this is a better-quality valve and/or if there are any good AFFORDABLE thermostatic valves out there ($150-250 for valve, trim & tub spout) that I have missed. I have a feeling others may be in the same boat!

: Thank you!

: Dean Smith

Replies to this post
There are none.